Monday, April 30, 2012

ABC's of Motherhood

~~~~~~~

J is for Joy

~~~~~~

Joy is not a plastic smile on your face as you grit your teeth while changing yet another diaper.  It goes much deeper than that.  Most mom's have aspects of mothering that they struggle with, and if we let them they can "steal" our joy.

I'll give you an example.  Pink eye is making the rounds at our house, and over the weekend it caught up with me.  I staggered around doing my work while my eyes itched and blurred.  I did NOT feel very joyful.

While passing a mirror I glanced at my reflection and was surprised to realize that I looked like a weepy mess.  I hadn't been crying, but my eyes were red and swollen, and a little scary looking.  For some reason this struck me funny, and I kept laughing every time I thought about how pathetic I looked.

In looking at the big picture I realized that this illness won't last forever, it really doesn't hurt, and it gives me something to laugh about when I look in the mirror.


"My brethren count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;  Knowing this that the trying of your faith worketh patience."  James 1:2-3 




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder. I'm feeling much more joyful today than I did there for a while. Our kids seem to struggle a lot more during the January to May part of the year for reasons we have yet to figure out. Now that I'm used to this year's struggle, it's not getting me down as easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how that is! I have a son that has a rough time around this time of year due to severe seasonal allergies. We've learned the hard way not to try any major vacations or projects during the month of May. Nice to have you comment!!!!

      Delete

Please comment I love hearing from you!