Friday, February 17, 2012

Just a Hug

My two year old foster son gave me a giant hug this past weekend.  I was frying pancakes, and he just came up and threw his pudgy little arms around my equally pudgy waist.

Seems rather typical doesn't it?  I mean two year olds are known for being spontaneous aren't they? 

But this hug was different, and I cried a little when I thought about it later that night.

When children come into foster care they come with baggage.  At the very least they have experienced being taken away from all that was safe and familiar.

As a foster parent it's easy to get discouraged because you love them and pour yourself into them, and sometimes see very little progress or improvement on the part of the child.  

This particular little guy would hug you if you asked him to.  He would randomly hug complete strangers, but he never ever hugged my husband or I unless we asked him to. 

He had several different homes before he came to live with us.  He would get close to the people that cared for him, and then he would get ripped away. 

As a result he figured it's safer to not get close to whoever happens to be calling themselves "mommy" in his life.  If you don't care---you can't get hurt.

It's heart-breaking to think about a tiny little guy having to experience so much loss. 

If someone had been looking through our window that morning.  They would have seen a slightly frazzled mother fixing pancakes for breakfast, and a cute little boy throwing his arms around her.

 They might have wondered why the mother's eyes got a little misty over a hug---I mean there are four children in her house--one hug shouldn't make that much difference.

But, they would be wrong.

That one hug made all the difference in the world!




17 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful what a hug can do? I am sure you melted. It took me a while to figure out you might actually have a blog of your own. Duh, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hugss dear especially from a little kid. I think is awesome, my kids are older but I love when they said me un abrazo, un abrazo (a hug) sometimes I saw they made theirs lifes and talk with their friends but really always need a hug. Me too! A big and nice hugg to you my dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel E.~So nice to have you visit!! Don't feel bad--I'm not very technically savvy either. :) Everything I know about navigating the net I've learned from someone else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of more beauty posts you made, but I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gloria, Awww, thank you--here's a great big hug coming back to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww...that is just so sweet. It has to warm your heart that he even felt safe and loved enough to let a little slip out of his over protective heart. I didn't know he had been to several other homes before yours. So hard. I'd cry over that little hug, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betsy, Made all the rough moments, and hard times worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure it did! :) And there will be more now that the ice has been broken!

    I'll take a pancake, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betsy, You have to speak up sooner--the pancakes have disappeared. It's like feeding time at the zoo--you have to be quick or go hungry around here. ;) hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. aw how very sweet!! you must be doing something right, keep it up! ~Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christine~ Thank you--but sometimes my "big heart" gets in my way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Martha~It's definitely nice to see progress--but even when there isn't any I keep going. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is very nice indeed. It's a shame all the stuff they have to go through, being ripped away and not able to trust people.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rebecca, this is a very touching post, i can feel your joy over this hug and i understand why :-) thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate rats too, aghh! Pat will love he shocking me! (lol)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment I love hearing from you!